HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How did you learn to hunt?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 07:47 PM
drstalker
Typical Buck

Default RE: How did you learn to hunt?

"How did I learn to hunt"I would have to say I am still learning,but would say most of what I learned or the way I learned was being out there.The early years of my hunting I didn't have much of any areas to hunt so would hunt a time or two a year,now I'm talking deer hunting mainly,cause I hunted rabbits,pheasant and other critters early on in my youth,but deer was mostly a self taught vocation.I did learn some from books and the internet and a few buds.I've been bowhunting for over twenty five years,and didn't harvest any for the first ten or so,and again it was the frequency of being in the woods and being allowed to hunt.I did study my prey though and was facinated by the whitetail deer.Most would have gave up on deer hunting if they didn't harvest one that early on,but I loved being out in the woods,and seeing all the critters that I did.I most always saw deer,and really learned alot about them by stalking.I'm glad it has happened the way it has for me,I think if I would have harvested a nice racked deer the first year or so when I was younger and didn't the next, it would have been a difficult thing to return to for me.The reason I hunt is for the freezer and "headgear" is just a bonus in my opinion.I also believe that hunters mature as the years go ,and as they age the reasons they hunt and for what they hunt changes.I was a wild man about racked bucks in my early years of hunting but that has changed for me.Now don't get me wrong I will harvest a nice buck if it meanders my way,and I will scout for them,but Idon't have the energy to hunt them as hard as I used to.