HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you pick a dog
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you pick a dog

Ikinda inheritedmy Springer a few years back when he was less than a yr. old and I (we) got an awful lot of help and support from one of the folks on this forum. I was greener than my dog.

After two years of taking advantage of his knowledge and experience and some positive hand-holding and great comrauderie, with the help of my buddy, my Springer and I have graduated to being half decent meat hunters. The big change is he isbeginning to understand what he is hunting for. (big change from tennis balls to wild birds).All I know is I love being out with him and he loves doing what he was bred to do. It is a whole new experience for both of us.

Why am I saying all this? Because I know little about other hunting breeds but my Springer has done everything (and more) than I ever hoped for. He is a loving, caring, family member all the time but when Fall comes and he starts getting his refresher course using pheasantwings while running the woods, he is a completely different dog. To see him working alone or with (one other special, female Springer) is a thing of beauty. He learned from her and watching her is like watching a pro at work. Dedicated and focused sums it up pretty well.

One word to describe him is relentless. He would ratherbe in the woods trying to pick up a scent trail, than anything else, and I do mean anything else. There has been a lot of good info shared here, butnot much about the SpringerSpaniel.

The reason I wrote in detail about this is to say: "Don't deny yourself the opprotunity to look into this breed. You will not be disappointed."

Good luck!!