HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mineral blocks
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Hotburn76

Default RE: mineral blocks

I buy all mine at the local ag store like TSC. If you want a mineral block make sure you get one, alot of the trace mineral blocks are just that, trace. If you look at the lable before you take it off you will see it is like 98-99% salt and very few minerals. You can buy mineral blocks that are only like 45% salt and then they have alot more calcium and phosperus(sp) in them and other stuff to help them out more and deerseem to hit it harder then a trace block, the only down side is they degrade faster inthe weather then a trace block, will last about two or three months at most.Salt works good but it don't take much and when the ground is saturated with it they will eat the dirt. I put mine down and within a year the spot turned intoa nice larg spot. They will hit it hard in the spring and summer when the does drop their fawns and the bucks are growing racks, but I have only seen a couple of deer lick itin season. Don't waste your money on a "game" block from the magazines, you can get a fifty pound block from the ag store for about six bucks and the powder form in the bags is about the same price. Here is a pic of my site.