HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where to put the stand?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 07:53 PM
.270Shooter

Default Where to put the stand?

Hey guys, new to the board and glad to be here! Here in deep East Texas, a friend has given me access to his land to hunt. It's a small patch (33 acres) that runs long and narrow. It starts near a road and a hundred yards later are some fences and a stock tank that the does really seem to love, with as many as dozen at a time sighted in the early and late hours.

From there, the land slopes downhill and then opens up into a long narrow meadow, with many deer trails crossing and running along the fence line. It then begins to get thick briefly, then opens up to a another, smaller clearing, then get into a hundred yards or so of some thick woodsy, marshy bottom land, with creeks and brush and tracks running all over the place. I plan on sneaking in well before daylight next weekend - should I try to creep back into the deep stuff at the risk of spooking them, or wait in the treeline by the meadow for first light?

My feeling is that the bucks are in the deep stuff, but I don't know far back I can go without moving them somewhere else. Any thoughts?