HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - land ownership
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 09:09 AM
tschaef
Nontypical Buck

Default land ownership

I'm not a big fan of public land, luckily I have access to 2 private spots to hunt.
I just got a call from one guy that owns 100 acres of swamp that we hunt, he has permission from neighbours for another 400 acres (the good land). Well, 1/2 of the good land is up for sale (maple and oak hardwoods), and we would be screwed if another hunting party moved into the area.
Now I'm faced with a very big decision, take a loan for $25,000 to buy 1/2 (100acres) of bush that I've been hunting for 15yrs (with no road or water access), or basically get pushed out and use what we have for waterfowl only.
One friend called it a no brainer, buy the land, and I agree, I desperately want a piece to call my own. On the other hand, I'm 30+ yrs oldrenting a basement, I would love to get laser eye surgery, and my teeth could use some aesthetic work. On top of that this land is a 2 1/2hr drive one way.

Being out there is my passion, I live in the city but leave 9 out of 10 weekends to get away from everything. I'm told that I'm always welcome at a few places, but I'd like to be the host rather than the guest some day.

Any thoughts, I'm not looking for financial advise on this site, just wondering if any of you are as hard core with their passion as me to consider buying hunting land before a home.