HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - AZ elk hunting
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AZ elk hunting

Red,

I hunted right where you mention, next to the White Mountain Indian Reservation. Unit 1. Our camp was actually within one mile of the reservation border. We could hear rifle shots coming from there when we were there peak rut. They can use them there. In 2002 when I drew, the reservation hunts ran $24,900 for the east side, and $19,900 for the west side. I think they were sold out 3 years in advance. They have a website. We hunted right next to them for $380. I took a 340 bull on the 5th day. If I draw that tag again I will devote a full 2 weeks and hold out for 360+. They are there.

Kerry,

If you want that extra 10-20" of horn, and have the money, you can probably get it by using an outfitter. However, I would definitely draw the tag first, then get the absolute best guy in that particular unit. Not a bordering unit. That unit. An expert. Otherwise,Arizona is full of weekend guides who know they canstumble a client into a 320"-330" bull in ANY unit no problem.Don't worry about the guide now. Just keep applying and worry after you draw.

Have you been targeting any particular unit? We always put in for unit 1 first, then 8, 9 or 10, sometimes 3A/3C. Always archery. I'm sure you know those without maximum points have zero mathematical chance for an early gun tag this year, right? If you're going archery, you should draw within the next 3/4 years. We drew with 5 points.

Good luck to all in the draw.