HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - recurve vs longbow?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 02:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: recurve vs longbow?

Generally speaking, a recurve is faster, heavier (mass weight) and has a grip more familiar to compound shooters. A longbow is quieter, smoother, and has more hand shock.

HOWEVER............there are so many different variations on the market today that you have to get more specific--there's real fast longbows, fairly slow recurves, heavy and light mass weight in both, long recurves, short longbows, longbows with recurve grips, recurves with longbow grips, 3-piece td bows that accept both types of limbs, etc. etc. etc. Some "longbows", to me, feel and shoot just like a recurve, to the point that I don't understand what the niche is for them--just get a recurve and be done with it. Some look like a recurve unstrung.

Anyhow, point being is you will just have to get your hands on a few bows and see what works best for you. If by "longbow" you mean a straight grip and straight or mildly reflexed limbs, then a traditional style recurve will probably be easier to make the transition with. Personally, I prefer a good deflex/reflex (aka "hybrid") longbow, although one that isn't too radical in design.

Don't worry about brands, speed tests, what so-and-so shoots, etc. Go with what feels good and works best for you.

Chad