HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ???'s ABOUT PROCESSING YOUR GAME
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 PM
lethalconnection

Default RE: ???'s ABOUT PROCESSING YOUR GAME

I hang the meat from 1 day to 2 weeks. It all depends on the temp the meat stays cause if it is too warm the meat will spoil so in the case u cut it up right away.If it stays cold enough though we will hand it for up to 2 weeks to let the meat tenderize. If you shot an animal and it doesnt die right away the animal will build up lactic acid in its muscles (same thing happens to us when we get really scared your muscles kind of go stiff which is due to the release of lactic acid) which makes the muscles go tense and therefore a tough meat. So to let it tenderize you let if hang which gives the meat time to loosen up and the lactic acid dissolve which makes it become tender. The same thing with animals in rut they have lots of lactic acid in there muscles that time of year so try to let them hang as well.If an animals is dropped right away there should be little to no acid in the muscles but we still let them hang just for the hell of it just as long as the meat stays at a reasonable temp. I know that all guys dont believe in the whole lactic acid thing and thats fine its just thats what i was taught and i hope this info helps u out in the long run. Good Luck

Lethal