HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flintlocks
Thread: Flintlocks
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Charley

Default RE: Flintlocks

[quoteSome myths about flintlocks -

Use FFFF for priming. The truth is, FFF works better for hunting. The larger powder has less surface area than FFFF and thus gets wet slower. Also, FFF is a coated powder, FFFF is not.

Use FF for main charge. The truth is you CAN use FF, but why when FFF works just as well and you use less powder for the same amount of velocity? Thus, if you use FFF for both prime and main charge you carry only one powder horn.

1:48" twist is a compromise between bullets and balls. Truth is, 1:48" twist doesnt really work well for anything.

Round ball guns need 1:60, 66, or 72" twist. Truth is, they dont. My 1:56" twist shoots rings around my Uncle's 1:72" twist gun.

Round ball guns are only good for 100 yards or less. Utter hogwash. The limitation on a roundball gun is the reliability of the shooter to place the shot.

][/quote]

I can't be quite that dogmatic . I've played with traditionalmuzzleloaders and realBP for about 30 years now. I've been blessed to play with some good custom guns by some talented people, some guns I have built, and many production guns, some fairly expensive, and some pretty cheap. The one homest word you wil find in most descriptions about guns on general, and even more so with ML is USUALY. For instance,
Truth is, 1:48" twist doesnt really work well for anything
. I've seen some 1/48 barrels that were accurate way beyond what they "should" be, with ball or conical. I've seen 1/72 shoot better than 1/56, and also the other way around. Every firearm is an individual, and every one is different. You can say, quite legitemately, [quote My 1:56" twist shoots rings around my Uncle's 1:72" twist gun.
][/quote]
I'm sure it is true. I am also sure there is a 1/72 barrel out there that will beat your 1/56.
Use FF for main charge. The truth is you CAN use FF, but why when FFF works just as well and you use less powder for the same amount of velocity? Thus, if you use FFF for both prime and main charge you carry only one powder horn.
Some of my guns, rifle and smoothbore, shoot better with FFg than FFFg. I like carrying one powder when hunting, so I often use FFFg because I am lazy, not because it works just as well.

Not trying to argue, just making a note about some of the things I have seen over the years. Your miliage may vary...