HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Flintlocks
Thread: Flintlocks
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 03:30 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Flintlocks

Almost any flintlock will shoot upside down.I of course had to try it on my flintlocks like everyone else does, and sure enough, they fire just fine. I also showed that to two young and upcoming muzzleloader shooters at my range. Their father brought his clan over to shoot a newmuzzleloader and get some tech advise. I was shooting my Lyman Trade Rifle .54 caliber flintlock and they were fascinated with the thing. When I told them it would fire upside down, I could see I had them hooked. They doubted it. When it went off I never seen two young boys so tickled. It also helps rid the notion that flintlocks are hard to get to fire. I hear that all the time from my friends.Theytell me, thats a nice looking rifle, too bad they don't fire all the time. The longest stretch I had without a misfire was well over 20 shots. That's with a agate on the Lyman rifle. With flints, if I knew how to knapp I am sure I could get more then that before the thing refuses to ignite the powder. They are fun to shoot without a doubt.