HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .25 wssm
Thread: .25 wssm
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 04:43 PM
jcchartboy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .25 wssm

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter
When was the last timethat the original designer/manufacturer of a cartridge went out of business within 2years of introducing a cartridge. Really doesn't look good for it but who knows .
Oldelk,

I am sure you are well aware, it was only one manufacturer of the guns that went out of business. The ammo manufacturer involved in the design, and the second original manufacturer, (Browning), are still going strong.

Look at win mod 70's and how fast they sold out when the closing was announced. The only thing that still sits on dealers racks are these wssm's. If they are such a hot idea how come they aren't flying off of the shelves. You would think that people would want these to have a little winchester history. My LGS said that some distributors are talking about offering if they buy 5 wssms that the sixth will be for free. My dealer has been in business for 30 years and he won't touch a wssm as they don't sell. The originator of the thread works hard for his money and he asked for advise and I would like to offer some advise IMO. Like oldelkhunter said, the company that invented the wssm closed.
First, as mentioned above your statement "the company that invented the wssm closed." is completely incorect. Itwas Winchester Ammo that designed the cartridges. (As you probably know they are a completely seperate business from Winchester firearms.)

Secondly, none of thisanswers any of the questions I referenced above, and has little to do with the original topic...25 wssm's...

You can clarify me if I am wrong...are "all these guns" that you discussing 25 wssm's...I highly doubt it...

Once again if you have any actual data concerning the business factors that would lead to this (the 25 Wssm) cartidge being discontinued I would love to hear it...I will gladly admit you are right if you can produce some meaningful data...

As for the prices/availabilty of those Model 70 WSSM's you were discussing....they are no different than any other gun...low end models, will always be the last to sell in any collectors market....

Ask your gunsmith how many Model 70 Featherweight stainless 25 wssm's he can pick up at/below cost....I can tell you...none!