HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wild Dogs running deer
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2002, 10:10 PM
anniegetyourgun

Default RE: Wild Dogs running deer

i too live in wva and have heard that a local game warden had said it is illegal to kill someones dog even if it is running deer. it`s sad that dogs do run deer but sadder yet when they are reduced to it from the fact of being abandoned by the owners. i`d like to see stricter punishments and more people get caught for this cruelty. any way some times the dogs are`nt even wild, just running together.

we had a large litter of pups one year that started running deer when only a few months old. my husband quickly done away with i think 3 of these as they would`nt stop running the deer. he even killed the one that he had chosen for him self from the litter. these same pups grabbed my cat and i`ve never seen anything so vicious as what they were doing to that cat, luckily i was able to get it away before they really hurt her.

any way sometimes these dogs turn vicious, where we live a pack of dogs started running around together--they mostly wer`nt strays but family pets from the area just running together, they got to running live stock and once when no one was home at my sisters neices house pulled a cage apart that contained her pot bellied pig and killed the pig. they literaly tore the wire from the cage and took the pig out. some of these dogs were shot while they were still on the scene by the ladys family but the others were shot by their owners when they were found, they may have let one or two live not sure. the dogs were at my sister`s home right before they went to the other ladies house-both had small kids and they were just grateful the dogs did`nt catch any of the kids out side , not knowing if they would have attacked the kids or not.

one more thing, sometimes a group of dogs will form a pack for a short time in order to chase a female dog in heat , seen it several times around here. these dogs will fight and tear one another up until the females heat period is over and they will all disperse and go home eventually, so that`s another reason to keep your dogs spayed.