HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A stabilizing experience
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 06:21 AM
PABowhntr
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A stabilizing experience

Now, I'm not about to knock anyone who can shoot better than I can, but whenever I've seen you shoot, it never looked like TP was part of the equation. For me at least, when I am "experimenting" or "testing", it is hard to put that aside in my brain, and every shot seems to mean too much, resulting in too much thinking and too many mistakes. I don't shoot my best until I've settled on something, and "just shoot." I would suspect the accuracy differences you wrote about may be related to fatigue, too much thinking, too much forward roll (this is with the Old Glory, right?)or possibly just bad luck or chance. If you can afford the time, you might get very different results if you left a particular combo on the bow for a few days or a week at a time, and based conclusions on a much bigger # of shots. Don't know when you would find the time to do such a test, but it may give you different results.
Jeff,

I have my good days and my bad days just like everyone else. The last year or so I have really been struggling to get the utmost accuracy (that I have come to expect) out of my bows. At first I wanted to chalk it up to a differing cam style and/or something tuning related. But now I am not so sure.

Some of your comments may hold some truth though. As I mentioned I have a feeling that either I may be developing a shoulder issue and/or I have some form of target panic related to the weight of the bow. Though not heavy by any standard the longer riser of the Old Glory makes it heavier than many of the shortie bows I had been shooting predominantly for years. Related to this though I mentioned the excellent balance that this bow exhibits....which brings me to Sag's comments.

Sag,

I do feel that the bow is exceptionally well balanced and that this is a factor in my findings...probably the primary factor in my opinion. I guess it is somewhat amusing in that this is the first bow that I have actually tried this with. So often I just attach all of my add-on accessories and then proceed to sight-in and tune the bow. That makes sense to an extent but leaves little room for getting a true feel for how the bow naturally reacts during the shot. I wonder what else I am missing out on by going through the same routine with each bow I own. It is too easy to just fall into the same complacent pattern of behavior.

Curious to know what the combo's were?

Nodog,

I was using several combinations of the Sims lineup of stabilizers...Enhancer 2000, regular Enhancer, modular and S-coil along with some Doinker models in various lengths, an older Bomar powder-filled model, two Cobra hyrdaulics, two Vibracheckrubber/silicone models, an Xring Silicone and two older style aluminum models with the lead weight on an extension.