HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Goals for the upcoming fall......
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 09:19 PM
hardcorehunter
Banned

Default RE: Goals for the upcoming fall......

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Well, I've been at this game of bowhunting for about.......hmmmm......10 years now. But I shot my first deer just 2 seasons ago, fall of 2003. Since then I've shot several more, which leads me to the point.

The area I've most improved on in the last couple of years in stand placement. I consistently put myself in a position to see and shoot deer. BUT, the area I will seriously be concentrating on this fall is seeing more bucks. I've yet to even shoot AT a buck w/ my bow. Frankly, I just don't see very many. I think I may have saw 2....maybe 3 last fall, but I saw more does than I can shake a stick at.

So that's my goal for the upcoming season. To see more bucks and hey, maybe even shoot one. Where have you most improved in the last couple of years and what are your goals for this fall?
I have improved in getting plenty of stands out and never hunting one if the wind isn't right and never overhunting a stand. I have around 15 permanent stands and one climber and this gives me options to hunt. My goal is to get a really nice buck. I refuse to shoot a buck unless he is a mounter. Period. I see some real nice bucks in my timbers and it all a right place right time for me deal. I have shot a lot of deer over the years with archery. We have been having generous doe tags here and I have been shooting 3-4 of them a year to keep me in meat and tuned for the big buck kill. My nicest buck bow kill is a 150 class and now I let them walk. I want 160 on up. Chuck Adams says set your standards high and that is what I do now. I had a 180 class buck within bow range two seasons ago but a bush prevented the shot.