HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A stabilizing experience
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 03:10 PM
JOE PA
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A stabilizing experience

I have never thought that the stabilizer made a huge difference in accuracy, but then I am not at a skill level to really know, I guess. With the Mcpherson I have now, the combo of the frequency ridged riser and the 2" of reflex it has means that it is hard to put more than an S-coil in the front mount without it feeling front heavy. I would say it shoots well with no stabilizer, but the shooting is certainly not as pleasant or quiet without it. Then again, I remember an MQ1 with that fat factory grip that wouldn't stop throwing left/right fliers until I had enough front stabilzer to make it really roll forward badly. I have to experiment some more, but I just got a (forgive me Frank!) used Q2 XL that seems to be easily tuned. I have only shot it out to 20 yards so far, but it will stack broadhead arrows with field pts. easily, with or without the stabilizer on.

Now, I'm not about to knock anyone who can shoot better than I can, but whenever I've seen you shoot, it never looked like TP was part of the equation. For me at least, when I am "experimenting" or "testing", it is hard to put that aside in my brain, and every shot seems to mean too much, resulting in too much thinking and too many mistakes. I don't shoot my best until I've settled on something, and "just shoot." I would suspect the accuracy differences you wrote about may be related to fatigue, too much thinking, too much forward roll (this is with the Old Glory, right?)or possibly just bad luck or chance. If you can afford the time, you might get very different results if you left a particular combo on the bow for a few days or a week at a time, and based conclusions on a much bigger # of shots. Don't know when you would find the time to do such a test, but it may give you different results.