HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is Remington ever going to come out
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 12:04 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Is Remington ever going to come out

lol oeh, most of "Big Greens" guns are still built here stateside (700s, 7400/7600,870/1187, 597 etc...) but their quality control sure has taken a nosedive over the last decade or so. I have a nearly 30 year old 700ADL that is still has better tolerance than ANYTHING sitting on the rack at work today. Lastweek I got all excited when a brand new RMEF edition 700XCR, 300WSM with hardwoods camo stock came in. I couldn't wait to get it open.

Boy was I dismayed when I pulled the gun from the box and on each topside of the stock right along where the barrel exits the channel the camo was coming up/flaking. This from their best, top of the line, factory rifle??? I see similar crap from them as well throughout the year. Mechanically the guns still seem to be "decent" and work as designed. But I can remember a time when Remington wasn't about being "decent" and "just working" wasn't one of their parameters in building.

I won't even go into the horror stories I have had with their "Mayfield guns" (guns like the 710 and 597 which are built in Mayfield, KY). Let's just say that NONE of them will ever reside in my own personal gunsafes @ home!

Of course show me ANY company that has kept their quality committment, attention too detail and quality control once they whored out too the biggies like Wal-Mart and BPS...
RA

ps
Personally I think they have the capacity to annually produce about 100,000 QUALITY, first rate guns like they built in the 60s-70s and early 80s. But they are using that capacity to build probably 500,000+ guns annually.