HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time shooting a muzzle loader
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First time shooting a muzzle loader

ORIGINAL: silverstreak

I got my White Ultra Mag about 2 weeks ago and just was able to get out this past Saturday and shoot a muzzle loader for the first time. I was a little aprehensive because I had no experience at all in loading or firing one. Well, I must say, everything went really well with no problems what so ever. The rifle came with 20 460 grain conicle bullets. I bought some 245 grain Powerbelt bullets along with APP tf powder and CCI #11 magnum primers. I started with 80 grains of powder and the 460 grain bullets at 25 yards. All 3 rounds were in the bull. I then got brave and set a target at 100 yards. Using the same load and bullet the group was about 6 inches and about 7 inches below the bull. Does that sound about the right trajectory for that weight bullet? I then increased my powder to 90 grains and the next few rounds were about 2 inches higher. I then tried the 245 grain Powerbelts with 90 grains of powder. They were about the same height as the 460 grain but about 3 inches to the right. This seems kind of wierd to me but maybe it was because I had fired about 15 rounds and the barrel was getting warm. All in all I really enjoyed it and will do it again real soon. I was amazed how much less recoil with the lighter bullet. I have only the iluminated iron sights that came with the rifle but plan to install a scope with detachable mounts to sight it in since I cannot use a scope in Oregon. Any input from you experienced ml shooters would be appreciated. What do you think of my powder and cap selection? What do you think of Powerbelt bullets for deer hunting?
First off.. I am glad you had a great time shooting. Those first experiences are important to fire the flame of muzzleloading. How bad did you think the rifle was to clean by the way? Do you not agree that the balance of that rifle and trigger is most impressive?

As for your choice of powder, APP IMO is not the best powder for large conicals. I have not had good luck shooting large conicals with APP or Pinnacle. Now if you were shooting sabots, then the APP can and has produced impressive results for me. I would look for some powder like Pyrodex P. Pyrodex P is a 3f grade powder commonly used in black powder pistols. If you read your manual they also suggest that Pyrodex P is a good choice. You will find some excellent results using the faster burning powder and excellent accuracy.

Another great powder for the Ultra Mag is Triple Se7en 3d & 2f. Many of the White Rifle shooters like the 3f. Again, they get more pressure, faster burning time and better accuracy. Both of them will work real well.

The powder I like is Goex 3f black powder. I shoot a lot of that. On my next order I will get a couple pounds of Swiss 3f and use it strictly in the White Rifle. I find the Swiss 3f a little too hot for my tastes in some of the other rifles.

Something else I would get is some fiber wads. TOTW sells them. Get the 1/8 thick ones. They will work real well for you. I bought the 1/16th thick and found that I get better accuracy shooting with two of them between the powder and the conicals.

Last, why would you want to trust your expansion and fragmentation to a powerbelt that light, when you have a rifle that will shoot the 460 & 495 grain (legal conicals) so well. I shoot them with 80 grains of Triple Se7en 3f or Goex 3f and the accuracy is exceptional.

Some other non scope options are a Lyman 57 SME peep sight. Also there are other peep sights out there that will work on theright. They should increase your long range accuracy.

Also do not be too harsh on your first time out results. You really have not found your sweet load and it takes time to learn the rifle.. Just keep shooting more and see if your groups do not tighten up.

Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted on your shooting trips.