HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hodgdon Powder vs IMR Powder
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 05:52 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hodgdon Powder vs IMR Powder

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

Has anyone found one powder to be more consistent or more accurate? I am most interested in putting four powders head to head.
H-4831 vs IMR-4831
and
H-4350 vs IMR-4350

Lets say you have a 25-06 that you aretrying to work up a load for with 110-grain Nosler, Accubond bullets?

What is the first powder you reach for & why.
My example is listed below.

I myself have had good results with H-4831 in several rifles & calibers. H-4831 is the first powder I will grab. I currently use H-4831 in,
2- 300-win mags.
1- 300-R.U.M.
3- 270-win.
1- 280-rem.

Thanks,

Wolf Killer
There are some powders from these two sources that are pretty much the same, and some that are NOT!

For example, the difference between IMR 4350 and H4350; IMR4895 and H4895, and perhaps some others are not much greater than the difference between two different lots of the same powder. However, others are significantly different despite having the same numerical designation. The example that comes to mind here is IMR 4831 vs H4831. Here the IMR product is quite a bit faster than Hodgdon's, and is, in truth, not significantlyslower than IMR 4350.

For my uses, I find that there are powders in both product lines that give me the results I want in certain cartridges, so I use powders from both companies (as well as from Alliant, Norma, and Accurate). I find that no one powder manufacturer hasa product linethat meets ALL my reloading needs......