HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HUNTING DEER BEDING AREA
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 02:18 PM
WKP Todd
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HUNTING DEER BEDING AREA

Yes, at the right time. I won't set-foot in a known doe bedding area until the first week of November. Most of the time, big bucks won't be bedding in the same areas as the does, so when they are in "search mode", these are some of the best places to set-up for all day hunts.

Other than during the rut, hunting bedding areas can often-times do more damage than good. Remember, you are leaving a scent-trail in, and out, regardless if you are actually getting winded while hunting.

One of the best tactic's for killing a mature buck is to find out where he beds, and set-up accordingly. One of my friends has killed some of his biggest bucks while using a tactic he calls "bump em' and dump em'". If he can't locate the exact area a particular buck is bedding in, he'll intentially bump the buck from it's bed and set a stand immediately. Then, when conditions are right, you can often catch the same buck bedding in the same spot. Remember, when you jump a deer, they're plan just worked. They were able to spot or wind trouble, and get out alive. That is the reason they were bedding they're in the first place. They will often times return within the same day or two and do the same thing. They now have confidence that they will be able to get out alive, and that is the life of a whitetail, survival. Some bucks freak out at a single encounter with a human, so this isn't a fool-proof plan. I can't tell you how many times I thought I had one figured out, and then he just doesn't show!

Remember that a big buck will most-often have several bedding areas for different winds, conditions, ect.... So, just because you found one of his spots, doesn't mean he's there every-single-day.