HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - STEVENS .30-06
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 04:59 PM
jcchartboy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: STEVENS .30-06

Sounds like a great setup for your intended puposes, this gun should handle alot of different situations, Congrats...

As far as specifics on that particular gun, I have not shot or handled one. However, for all intensive purposes it is simply a value priced Savage. I would think that you will be very happy with it as your first rifle.

The only specific recommendation I will make concerns the trigger. After you have confirmed the gun shoots well, I would recommend considering at least lightening the trigger yourself, (any easy screw adjustment), or better yet purchasing a Timney/Rifle basix aftermarket trigger.

The Savage trigger itself is reasonably good, and easy to adjust, the only issue is that you can not reduce theweight of pullvery much. I believe it is easier to just spend the 50$ and move up to a Timney/Rifle basix trigger which are more adjustable in terms of weight of pull, as well as overtravel, and sear engagement etc. (Remember you can keep the original trigger and reinstall it if you ever sell this gun,retaining most ofyour 50$ investment).

This something to consider only after you have become familiar with the gun, and only if you want to try ring a little more performance out it.