HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Phases of a turkey hunter
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Phases of a turkey hunter

good post....even though its only been...8 years for me this season...i consider myself a vetern...ive only taken 2 longbeards...but passed many many shots the previous years because i didnt think i could make them...turkey hunting means so much more to me then killing.....those first 4 yrs without birds taught me ALOT...and taught me it aint always about bringing something home...5th and 6th yrs i killed longbeards...ALONE...normally i hunt with dad...but when i turned 16 and got a job our schedules didnt meet up so much....but i learned enough to scout alone...and call em in and kill them on my own.....this year is the same...last year i made a foolish mistake.....i hunted THE SAME BIRD day in day out almost all season.....he whooped my butt...but i learned more last year then i ever expect to....never did kill him....he whooped me......but im ready this year....i also make my own calls for the most part...and love it....cant wait till i am out of school and have a real job so i can start my own mini wood shop....i know alot of people that will be NEWBIES for a while lol...2 of my buddys got LUCKY as all heck...dont scout....dont know what end of the call makes a noise.....or how to make the noise properly lol......but they both killed a bird each...my one buddy is trying to get better.....but he doest like waking up...we hunted the same farm last year..diffrent areas...id pull in and he would still be in bed.....he would get there after the birds were on the ground daily....he knows he got LUCKY..he keeps sayin "i hope im that lucky this year!"