HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Phases of a turkey hunter
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

Default Phases of a turkey hunter

I see many new posters on here, with little or no experience. I was taught many years ago that there is a natural progression of a turkey hunter, and thought it would be a good time to share those insights.

I'm also going nuts, because the season doesn't start for another week (May 3rd) and I've been seeing strutters every day...[&:]

Phase 1: The newbie. Even with good woodmanship, you have absolutely no idea what you're doing. This typically lasts the entire first season.

Phase 2: The rookie. Usually your 2nd & 3rd seasons. You've learned as much as you can prior to the season, but still make those mistakes that seasoned veterans never (yeah I wish ) never make.

Phase 3: The killer.By now, you may have taken a bird or two. More importantly, you've learned what NOT to do, and you feel confident that any and every day in the field you can harvest a bird. When you fail, you actually feel defeated. Your sole purpose during the season is to kill a turkey. This phase, IMO, lasts 5-10 years after graduating from rookie status...

Phase 4. The hunter. Now we're getting somewhere. From scouting to cooking, you've created your own little system for creating success, and the system works. You feel comfortable teaching others, and are always trying new things. You are confident you are a master, and are one step ahead of the turkeys...

Phase 5. The veteran. After about 15 years, you realize that the only difference between yourself and a newbie is that you should know better when you make mistakes, wherease newbies have no clue. You wake up every morning at 3am not to kill a turkey, but to hear the barred owls hoot and the wood thrushes sing. To smell the moist forest floor, and to watch the evolution of Spring as it revitalizes our own little part of the world. And yeah, that first gobble on opening morning just makes it that much sweeter...

S&R