HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Standing Corn
Thread: Standing Corn
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2002, 08:25 PM
farm hunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Standing Corn

Ostdc - I'll leave mine standing again this year I guess. We did last year, and the deer used it alot in the later part of winter. Its tough though to see deer feeding in the picked corn fields, on the neighbor's land - when we have 8 acres standing. I did brushhog one ten ft path doen the center of the 2 acre plot to see what will happen.

Last spring we brushhogged the remaining standing stalks, sprayed round-up, waited 2 weeks, plowed an disked before planting again. It worked fairly well, the stalks if not mowed down ten to clog up our little two bottom plow. Next year is a big planting year for us. We will plant corn in 5 acres of old clover, and try to establish a new clover plot on what is 4 acres of corn this year. For this reason, we did not have a local farmer spray atrazine on the corn (lasts up to 2 yrs in the soil) and only cultivated after the initial round up spraying. We have alot of weeds, mostly ragweed, even with the cultivation - but we still got a HUGE amount of ears (got to love that Nitrogen).

Yeoman - Sounds like you've got a good thing going. Hopefully the corn will hold up long enough to keep that good buck in your area a while.

Thanks everyone else. - Standing corn it will be. I know that if we have one of those years with 2 ft of snow on the ground in hunting season, every deer for miles will be in it, as all the farmers have finished chopping and picking theirs already in my area.

Edited by - farm hunter on 10/31/2002 21:33:00

Edited by - farm hunter on 10/31/2002 21:40:29