HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ford F-150
Thread: Ford F-150
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 12:54 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ford F-150

Had a 98 lariat sclease was decent had some small issues, needed 2 starters within the first few months and had the brakes done anumber oftimesduring the lease period, squealled like a stuck pig till the finally replaced the rotors and pads. Gas mileage was good empty 22, average 18 - when moderately loaded and suffered when taxed but no different that any of the 5.3 engine class. 4x4 system was decent but my 99 chev was much better in this regards as far as stock 4x4. I am sure though you'll mod it if your going to do serious mudding or buy a winch!

Since your only looking at fords, one caution is oil filter placement. My buds 00- F150had the oil filter behind the front bumper, no big deal until we slipped offthe road while returning home from hunting. Little to our knowledge the plastic shroud brokerearwards causing a smallpuncture inthe oil filter and well we had some serious problems not to far down the road. Ended up getting a new motor through insurance. I hear they reloacted the oil filter but not sure when this happened(year). I do know a relocation kit can be installed as my bud made the dealer do this when installing the new motor. The dealer was very familar with the design flaw and had seen it more than once. Really makes you wonder why they wouldn't have at least let the buyer know this info, just in case to double check before rolling. I know prior to that the last thing I thought about was where the oil filter was located. I do know my 98 was under the front tire well so equally unsure of when this switch was made in 150 between my 98 - up.

As far trucks everybody has their preferences. My current 04' ram has been trouble free in 50,000 miles. My pet peeve with this bugger at -30 is it clucks under the box when hitting bumps, temp rises and it goes away. Truck gets 18loadedand 20 empty, if lucky..5.7 hemi. Power not a concern for my usage. I have ran 1/2or 3/4Dodge, Chev and Fords, they all have their good and bad points. My least favorite ford F150and best bang chevy pre-vortex.