HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-30 question...good for long range?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2002, 04:57 AM
BeltedMag
Typical Buck

Default RE: 30-30 question...good for long range?

Sorry maybe i should have been more clear about my post above. When i was talking about having to unload into a deer with my 30-30. I hunt with a club and all we do is drives, so the majority of the time the deer are running and really fired up. When they have there adrenaline pumping even big magnums have trouble bringing them down. So to be a little more to the point, i have had to shoot deer that are running and excited several times with my 30-30, most of which are good hits. Dont want people to think im just blasting away and putting bullets everywhere. The first buck i ever killed on the drive ran within 20 yards of me, i shot three times and it ran off. I found it 40 yards away with 2 holes behind the front shoulder about an inch apart and one just below the spine, i still had to put one in the neck to finish it off. I have also had them drop in their tracks, but 90 percent of the time they run at least 40-50 yards with my 30-30, when they are pushed and excited.