HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Penetrating the Shoulder Blade
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Antler Eater
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Penetrating the Shoulder Blade

I guess everybody's definition of the shoulder bone is different. I have yet to see the rig and setup that will pass through the ridge of bone that runs the lengthof the scapula on a mature bucklet alone two. Now hit on either side of that boney ridgeand it could be a different story. That part of the scapula can be penetrated.

Even then, there are so many variables that one could miss bone entirely and still not get a pass through with 70 pounds of KE on a mature animal-I have personally witnessed it on more than one occasion.

Last year on two of the fourdoes I shot I was unable to get a complete passthrough. I am shooting a 70# Bowtech Allegiance (well tuned) with a 445 grain arrow going around 270 fps, tipped with 125 grain (included in the 445 figure)slick trick. Though both were mature does neither of these two were particularly big. On the other hand I have blown completely through a full grown bull elk with this setup andones with lesser KE(minus the broadhead. I was shooting a different broadhead on the elk setup and I don't believe the broadhead mattered on the does anyway) on more than one occasion.

Again just so many variables that can affect the outcome...