HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need new gun to replace 270 "help"
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 01:02 PM
sagehenfreak

Default RE: Need new gun to replace 270 "help"

I know this is a stale subject, but we really have to know just what part of Oregon you are going to be in for your hunting before anyone can offer good advise. If you are in the far west (Portland, Eugene, etc) your will be facing dramatically different conditions than if you hunt the far east (Pendelton, Baker, LaGrande). In the west you will be in near rain forest conditions, in the west, high alpine or sagebrush desert conditions. These two circumstances call for very different calibers/capabilities. If you consider all the advice you have available about east coast/southeast deer hunting, considering alsothat western Oregon elk are of the Roosevelt subspecies (Larger bodies and smaller antlers), you might want to go with a shorter range, larger caliber rifle. If, on the other hand, you are to hunt the east, you might consult the standard philosophies regarding western hunting and opt for a flat shooting, smaller caliber. I know there are myriad exeptions to the generalities I have put forth, but this would be a good starting point for your research. Good luck in your new home, and happy hunting!!!