HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is the best 175HP outboard???
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: What is the best 175HP outboard???

I agree, go with the Etec they really seem to have re-invented the direct injection two strokes. I own a 20'+ bassboat with a 225ProMax SS (Merc racing div. engine) and absolutely love it for such use. BUT that is on a high performance hull (runs over 90mph). Were I going with a slower hull I would pick the Etec over any of the 4 strokes. I am actually days away from buying a deckboat for my wife and kids (tired of them dirtying up my bassboat! [:@]) and I have been looking at 20'-22'ers mostly with 150 outboards. I prefer black motors just because that is what I have owned for over 20 years. BUT the new Evinrudes are very good motors.

Don't get me wrong, the 4 strokes are nice and VERY smooth and quiet. But they aren't the fuel misers everyone would lead you to believe, especially with throttles over 75%. And for me my biggest concern is how long will they last and can you rebuild them affordably? Just about any 2 stroke around can be rebuilt easily and cheaply (My 225 runs up too 7K RPM but knock on wood, she turned 7 lastmonth and I haven't so much as turned a bolt on her!) it is simply impossible to rebuild a 4 stroke so easily. Cams, valvetrain, complex oiling systems. And the weight, they are HUGE and very heavy in comparable HP ranges. Getting rid of that extra 100+#s will not only boost your speed, but will make a difference at the gasdock.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
RA