HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone know about bivy sacks?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Dirt2
Typical Buck

Default Anyone know about bivy sacks?

If you've used one you might be able to help. If you're thinking of getting one, this post may help you.

My thought was to replace my tent and free myself up more on elk bowhunts. I have been giving my new Outdoor Research basic bivy sack a workout the past couple weekends, figuring March conditions would be roughly similar to September bowhunting conditions.

This weekend I spent a night out in rainy 35 degree weather. I found a semi-covered bed under a big yellow pine, and sealed myself in for the night. I slept comfortably enough with my contrived air passage - I zipped my elk bugle tube into the opening so I had a snorkel device to let in fresh air.

THE PROBLEM: when I woke up after nine hours I had significant condensation down the entire top of my down sleeping bag. That ain't good! It could be overcome IF the following day is nice and I can lay the bag out during lunch to dry out. However, if the next day is rainy, then I'm stuck with a damp goosedown bag, which is a recipe for death.

CONCLUSION: I can't expect to seal myself in the darned thing. Gotta leave my head out to letmy damp breath escape. This is a bummer, because it basically forces me to begin reconstructing a tent, which I was trying to get away from when I bought the $160 bivy sack. Now, I'll have to develop an overhead tarp system for rain/snow, meaning more bulk and weight in my pack.

Anyone who has used one know any ways around my problem? (Not breathing as much when I sleep won't work!)