HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 PM
StrutnBPS

Default RE: Federal Heavyweight vs. Hevi Shot

ORIGINAL: Borch

SpurIA,

Great to hear the Rem Hevishot is working for you. Just thought I'd mention that you may want to stock up as Rem is no longer making these shells and is currently selling off of existing stock. Hevishot has severed their partnership with Remington and will be doing their own stuff. Next year there likely won't be much Rem. Heviaround in stores.
Thats just what I was about to write myself. Here are some things i've gathered so far this year from reading A LOT of turkey hunting forums on the internet.

From what I have been reading on many forums is that the new HEVI -13 isn't living up to the old Hevi-13 from last year. One of the Hevi-shot representatives even made a post on the NWTF web site appologizing to everyone and letting them know that they were working on finding a solution to the problems.

Also from what I have been reading is that the Winchester XR's are tearing up the turkey hunting forums. They are sold out just about everywhere. It seems that they are doing very well and are getting as close to the NITRO patterns as people are getting with a factory loaded shell.

The Federal HW seems to be about 50/50 with people so far. Some are getting good results with ported chokes, which you aren't supposed to use. And some are getting poor results with a nonported choke, which you are supposed to use. I would LOVE to try the Federal HW 7's in a 10ga. load.

As for the Remington Hevi-shot. I tried some last year and didn't like it at all. I tried it in three different guns of mine and neither patterned any better than lead. I killed a bird with it, but wasn't impressed with the "killing power" everyone talks about either. I didn't see any difference than lead.

Right now, I am waiting on this cold snap to end so I can pattern my 10ga. with some NITRO 3oz 4x5x7.5 copper plated lead and Nitro 3oz #5 nickle plated lead that I bought. I think they should do pretty good through the Comp-N-Choke XXX that I have on it.

Our season starts April 1st. So I need it to warm up in a hurry or I will be patterning in about 60 degree weather.