HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why doesn't Hoyt advertise %let-off?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 PM
BF1947

Default RE: Why doesn't Hoyt advertise %let-off?

Just what Art said. One thing about getting older, besides the obvious aches and pains, is that we get wiser. We finally figure out that shooting high weight (70#) and 80% letoff or so is not all that great on the shoulders. It's a whole bunch easier to draw 55-60 lbs with a lower percentage of letoff, say 65%-70%. It really doesn't matter how much letoff a bow has. You still have to crank those cams over the peak weight.

Now this being said, 60# is more than enough for any deer sized critter and is, in fact, enough for anything in North America and most of Africa.

I'm kind of an old guy at 59 and used to shoot high weights, but not any more. It took it's toll on me and I got wiser before it came to suragery. In the last couple years I've dropped down to the 50's and archery has started to become fun again.

Now to answer about Hoyt. Why don't they and some others state letoff? Because it varies from bow to bow, even in the same model. However, I believe most Hoyts run about 75% letoff. An industry standard anymore is around 75-80%, so don't let it get under your skin.