HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - locator call
Thread: locator call
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 04:35 PM
brb6687

Default RE: locator call

I recall the time 2 years ago that I was on a ridge top in the Ouachita Mountains at the Chinquapin walk in area.

As the day was breaking, i listened ofr a gobbler to sound off. The small birds and woods critters were beginning to wake up and the rising anticipation of hearing a big gobbler sound off had me vibrating inside.

Oops! There he goes, down in the valley. No problem as he will work his way up the ridge after he flies down. He is fired up pretty good and gobbling about once a minute when I hear it... HOOTY-HOOT HOOTY-HOOT, Gobbleobble obble obble! Holy crap! why is that guy hooting at a turkey that is sounding off on his own. I just lean back as I an almost tell exactly what is going to happen.

Hoot, gobble... hoot,gobble... hoot ... hoot....hoot..., nothing. This guy had just hooted a gobbler right into shutting up for the rest of the morning. He took a gobbler that was vocal enough to course on his own gobbling and spooked him into shutting up by making him gobble every 20 or 30 yds that he moved on this bird.

This scenario will be played out all over the country this spring and it is a shame. Locator call have their place and have used them successfully. They are,however, best used in moderation. As long as a gobbler is hollering on his own, he does notneed your help. learn to course tha sound of a gobbler and use locator call more sparingly and I bet you will see your success rate go way up!

I use natural voice for both owl and crow. I ahve hunted areas that one would not work and not the other. You can also try coyote,hawk,peacock,pileated woodpecker and many others.

Brad Besancon