HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Critr-Gitr

Default RE: If it's fenced land over 1000 acres,,,,,,,,,,,

Sylvan, Turtleshell,

Very good posts guys. I am not a real proponent of high fence, even though I see nothing morally or ethically wrong with it. The places I have seen it is no slam dunk or guarantee whatsoever. You can work your butt off and still go home empty handed. As stated above, my main problem with it is driving the cost of hunting up for the average man, whereas at some point it either becomes too expensive or out of his reach entirely. That, however is a completely different discussion than what was asked.

One side note though, and one I had never thought of untill yesterday, is natural disasters. Some of you may have seen on the news about the fires in the Texas Panhandle. That is where I live. There is a 10000 acre high fence ranch about 20 miles from my house, and one of those wildfires burned through it. They left gates open, and their elk herd escaped, but it makes you wonder how many of those high priced deer died when they piled up against a fence they couldn't jump. I'm pretty sure most folks don't realize the pure scale of what I am talking about here, it is very hard to visualize without seeing with your own eyes. Maybe 100 square miles or so, burned flat. But at any rate, there's some food for thought.