HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - GREAT HUNTING TRIP PICS !! awesome 12 pointer 2 drop t
Old 03-15-2006, 01:32 PM
MA Jay

Default RE: GREAT HUNTING TRIP PICS !! awesome 12 pointer

I've hunted on MANY high fenced ranches in South Texas, yet I've never hunted in a "pen"
TXhighrack,

Are you sure you want to do this? Ok, here it goes...

What exactly do you call a fenced in enclosure, other than a "pen"? Your pride in shooting penned animals is obvious from the passion in your tone. Does it matter the size of the pen? Do you only shoot animals in 5000 acre pens, what about 1000 acre pens, or 100 acre pens? As I said in my previous posts, I have no issue with your right to pay a farmer/rancher to shoot his farmed livestock. You do realize that in Texas animals such as Red Stag and Goats, which were the critters in the pics at the start of this thread, are considered "domesticated farm anaimals" right? Texas Parks and Wildlife does not have seasons on these animals and does not sell "hunting licenses" for them. So... if you pay a farmer or rancher to be allowed behind those high fences and shoot his penned in animals, that are not recognized game animals by Texas, do not require hunting licenses and are not WILD ANIMALS, how the hell can you call it HUNTING?

I am not saying you can't or shouldn't do it. Nope. Just asking you to please respect the whole concept of "HUNTING", alsoknown by some as the legalpursuit of wild and free ranging game.

As far as my personal hunting experiences, they have been documented over the years on this board and others. The "little" tract of land I hunt behind my house for thoseyoung deer is 7 miles by 3 miles of roadless woods. The elk I will chase across Colorado this fall, will probably be on a little patch of 20,000 acres or so. These areas do not sound like the kinds of places you would be interested in hunting though, as you can't push the critters up against a fence to be harvested. You would also have to buy an actual hunting license, and probably take a hunter safety course. Trust me here, your way of floating some cash to some farmer to killany day of any season any of the dozens of critters they have raised (exactly like cattle) is so much easier than the way us "HUNTERS" do it, as to be considered silly. Last time I checked, there weren't any heated tower stands with full beer coolers on the public or private land I or my family hunt.

You are to foolish to realize just how much damage you do to all of us hunters by trying to call shooting farmed and penned animals hunting. Do it all you want, but never think you are the equal of a person who harvests a legal free ranging deer, with a valid license during an actual hunting season.