HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Irish Setters:Are they any good?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Hi folks you guys are so right! I've been a little dissapointed over the crapp on the Irish is no good and stupid. The fact that the American Field has raised it's standard from a 11:00 tail to a 12:00 tail now and the fact
I have failed to find a setter club any closer than PA. Maine is a big state
to drive through. So these will not be trailing here. However Maine is full of sportsmen and I know if I want to work at it that I can get these setters intosome of Maine'ssportmen's shows and tell them about there history and hopefully a demo on how well these can hunt. And I feel things will start turning around with what I have in mind.Yes, I will
make sure that their story is told. And these setters are in the field or Maine woods on three to four days a week as we can train here all year long 7 days a week.I never came here to sell puppies nor did I try to offend no one. Sean's post had drawn me in because I enjoy hunting with the Irish, and yes, there is good hunters here in the U S.
And like redn says alot of misinformed people out there are being takefor a ride. Here a group of 3 people were bringing pups in from puppy find and selling the Irish as hunting dogs that show,hunt,and do everything you want them to do.They would get 4 or 5 pups at a time and sell them as the everything dogs. And this was getting done with most all breeds. They
had alot of red tape with the "just give us your money attitude". When I got my Irish there was no one in the state that had them. When my last
one flew in the Irish was up for sale here. Upon checking this out they told us that they raised Irish, a year later they told us what was going on.
I guess they must of failed as the kennels went up for sale.This is in no
way to discredit puppy find because I believe that puppy find can be a great thing. It is just how some people will go to the extreme to try and makemoney off others and the puppies exspence.