HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM
jcchartboy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dedicated Rifled Slug Guns...

Paul,

I agree that the H&R's are great guns. However they clearly fall into the "utility" category of the market.

I would be the first to agree that they will likely shoot comparably with any of the guns mentioned above. Unfortunately that is where the comparisons stop. Relatively speaking they handle poorly, are far too heavy, and lackany distinctive charectoristics that would make them unique.

That being said, they are perhaps the finest dedicated shotguns on the market for any hunter looking for a purely functional gun. In fact if I were just starting in the sport it would most likely be my first purchase for whitetail hunting in a shotgun only area.

The reality is the H&R's are simply designed for a different purpose then the guns mentioned above. (Although admittedly one can easily make the case that the Savage is designed in a similar manner)

My point being...what attracted me to these three guns mentioned above is their abilty to be well designed functional guns, but also the ability of their designers to makethem equally asappealling aesthetically. Surprisingly, one might think that the A-bolt would be at the top in this group, however the Tar Hunt is so far ahead of the A-bolt in overall handling and appeal it is almost unbelievable. I will be the first to admit I was skeptical that the Tar-Hunt could be as unique as I had been lead to believe, yet as soon I picked it up for the first time Irealized it reallywas leagues aboveall other dedicated slug guns I have ever handled.

JC