HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
AJ52
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

This is not intended as a reply to anyone in particular.I just love some of the Wholier than Thou Attitudes on this subject.

Baiting in my state is legal.
I've baited on a selective basis for the last 6-7yrs out of my 35+ yrs of deer hunting.All or most of my hunting over the years has been on private land or WMA's with corn or bean crops,maybe apples(no baiting). You can bet your pick up truck I hunted over AG crops and taken my fair share of deer by that method.

Any dead head who does some pre season scouting can set up on lanes or field edge around AG crops and in most cases whack as many deer as he/she desires.

So - Is this fair or the same as "Baiting" with a feeder,bags of corn,apples?

Food plots planted for the primary purpose of attracting game to harvest during the season whether it be deer,doves,geese,ducks,turkey,rabbits etc...I've taken my fair share of deer over and around clover plots.

Is this Baiting? Is it fair?

How about hunting around apple trees or oaks after a bumper mast crop.

I crush apples on my shoe soles,rub on clothing before walking to stand.Rub apples on tree bark.

I've had deer walk up to stand scenting apple.Is that fair - or is that baiting?

How about mineral blocks.

Baiting does not need to be about dumping bags of corn 25 yrds from stand - OR - stealing your neighboring farms Deer.I/we use corn,apples to "Move Deer" thru our farm via natural deer runs.We currently do not have any food plots or AG crops that attract deer.All our neigbors do!

When we(this year we hope) do I would be more than happy to whack deer around or over a food plot!