HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey with a rifle???
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Ryan Campbell
Fork Horn

Default RE: Turkey with a rifle???

Ok, lets cool our jets a bit here. No one is from an inferior state. Different states have different laws which lend to creating different attitudes and traditions about hunting and how it should be done.

Some states do not allow hunting any animal with a rifle, I believe Maryland and Illinois are this way. I'm given to understand that you may not hunt deer, or anything else, with a rifle in these states but that doesnt make it wrong for someone in TX, or Colorado or Oregon to do it if it's legal to do so there.

Hunting Turkeys with a rifle isn't wrong when you do it where it's legal and you know where you are hunting. It is simply a method that is legal in some areas and not in others. It is probably a method that is best done on private land large enough to shoot rifles on and not on public land or small tracts of land.

In a way it's kind of funny how hunters, most of them anyway, are generally rugged individualists that want no interferance from the government in their general life. However, a lot of them are quick to jump on the idea that something that they don't agree with, in the hunting world, should be banned. I've guided hunters for a long time and I honestly belive that some people feel a sense of moral superiority when talking about the way hunting should be done and what should be legal or not.
Another thing you have to remember is that when you own the property, pay the taxes on it etc., you tend to take a dim view of anyone telling you what you can and can not do on your property. Not just hunting but anything a land owner may want to do on his on place. This may apply to construction, drilling, demolition etc., not necessarily to hunting.

To answer your question about shotgun hunting on my website. Those are the rules set down by the land owner of that particular ranch. Him being the land owner he can do that. His thinking is that most hard core turkey hunters generally use a shotgun anyway. Family can use rifles but paying hunters are shotgun and archery only. I do have another place to hunt turkey that is a bit cheaper that allows turkey hunting by either rifle, shotgun or archery.

In any event, to each his own and enjoy your hunting. No one is from an inferior state....However I do suspect the New Orleans area of living off the rest of the country.