HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where is it headed (not to start an argument)
Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where is it headed (not to start an argument)

snowman69

You know for me and i do use inlines during the regular rifle season and sidelocks during the ML season... to me anyway it is the challenge... even with a modern ML it does not come close to matching the performance of my 270 or 300 win mag.

The challenge... the variables that i have to factor in to make the shots I need to make. Taking a 200 even 300 yard shot with a modern rifle is not a problem - any 200 yard shot with a ML is filled with variables - can I beat the variables? that is the question.

It is my contention even the most modern ML, excluding the smokeless Savage and the monster ml's, are really no more potent than a 308 in most instances.

Another contention, I think?, hunting the west is a lot different than hunting in the east... I really envy you guys with the number of tags you can get an the length of your seasons. Your tree houses and your food plots. Here we are hunting at 5,000 ft in the mountains with all the up/down drafts - swirling winds - just makes the challenge greater. I remember when I was younger hunting on the river breaks - 200 yard shots across the canyon at a muley was the norm - not the exception. ML's can not match that performance. 3000 fps second shots are common... I do not think we are there yet with ML's

Hunting like our fore-fathers did really doesn't exist in Idaho - the animals are way to scarce. The habitat has been severely changed by logging, man and enviromental damage... things are not the same.

now while I do use a modern inline with a modern projectile and I would not mind having a Savage - I just do not see myself using smokelss nor any of those big guns..

what do ya think???