HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whisker Biskit or drop down rest??
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Whisker Biskit or drop down rest??

ORIGINAL: Hoytteen

ok...i see now that they are both good rests but another thing i was thinkin was...don't the vanes on ur arrows get like all messed up and my friend was tellin me they have specific ones that u can put on and have less dammage to the vanes...so thats one and hers another...which one would be easier to set up????[&:]
Yes, there are better quality vanes that will hold up in the biscuit better however I do not feel it is necessary. IMHO the biggest reason people are seeing vane damage (and other problems)is they are using the wrong size biscuit opening. I shoot standard "cheap" 4in vanes with no damage or problems at all.

If you are shooting standard carbon arrows you shoulduse the large opening biscuit. NOT the medium unless your carbons are thin.This can be confusing because the package shows the mediumbiscuitisrecommended forarrowswith a20XX or smaller thickness while the large biscuitis for23XX or smaller thickness. Howeveryouwill also notice that you should have a0.03 gap at the topbetweenthe arrow and the biscuit as well as some around the sides.

I have found that with the medium biscuit,while I dohavea gap at the top of thearrow,it's not quiteenoughfor my BemanICS 340Camo Hunters which are about theaverage size carbon arrows. The large biscuit allowsa little more room and I think it makes a huge difference.

Below is the size chart from Carolina Archery. Notice the Large is recommended for 23XX (.359) or smaller aluminum arrows but does not mention carbon at all. I think this is where people go wrong when buying. They don't see the word "carbon" so they assume it's only for aluminum arrows.I feel the medium 20XX(.312) is ever so slightly too smallfor my arrows are that areslightly larger than.32 therefore I should be using the next size larger for a proper fit.

To make matters evenmore confusing onsome of the older packagingonly shows sizes forutsert carbon biscuit, insert carbon buscuit,aluminum biscuit and fishing biscuit and I think added to the mess.

The packagingstates thatthe "outsert carbon biscuit" is .26 and is the recommended size for outserted carbon arrows, 17XX or smaller aluminum arrows and NOT recommended for inserted carbon arrows.

The "insert carbon biscuit" is.32 and is the "recommended" size for an inserted carbon arrowbutcan also be used with anoutserted carbon arrowor withaluminum arrows that are 20XX or smaller.

The "aluminum biscuit" .36is recommended foraluminum arrows but can also be used for both inserted and outserted carbon arrows. I think most people miss this andjust buy the .32 because it says "insert carbon arrow"

Now, I'm not saying you have to go out and buy a micrometer and measure your arrows just to buy this rest. What I am saying is, if you are shooting an inserted carbon arrow, (probably the most common) odds are you are right around .32 +/- andthe medium biscuit is, at bestborderline big enough.You will get better results by shooting the large biscuit.

I hope this helps.