HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thunderhead broadheads
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 03:06 PM
GregH
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Thunderhead broadheads

I used to use thunderheads and shot a lot of deer with them. I've had them break or lose blades when hitting bone a couple of times too. When I started shooting in broadhead tournaments I switched over to Wasp SST Hammers. What I found was that the Wasp's aluminium washer used between the broadhead and the arrow insert, worked much better than the thunderheads rubber o-ring, for keeping the broadhead in alignment with the arrow shaft. I check this on every broadhead that I install by spinning the arrow on an arrow spinner with the point lined up with a line on an index card lying on the table below. I had almost zero point wobble with the Wasps, but I had to really mess around with the thunder heads to eliminate the point wobble. I think it was because the rubber o-ring would squish out un evenly with the thunderheads. I believe that the wasps are a tougher blade as well, they have a sharper, trocar point similar to the muzzy, and the sharp edges of its point aslo line up with the blades to enhance penetration. They have the same or nearly the same cutting diameter as the thunderheads also. The wasps were easier to tune, sharper and tougher than the thunderheads and flew the same. I cannot say that there was a difference in accuracy, because if any broadhead is tuned to the arrow, they should all fly good. I love the wasps, killed lots of deer with them, and won't switch until something better comes along.