HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey with a rifle???
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Ifly

Default RE: Turkey with a rifle???

The reason I quit hunting them with a .22 rim-fire back when they were legal in Ga...early 70's I think..is because using it cost me to this day the biggest gobbler I've ever seen in the woods.
It was on Clark's Hill Reservoir, public land..back then I never saw another turkey hunter in the woods or on the road..and there was about 5 gobblers sounding off first thing that morning. I took off to wards the closest one, got hid good and started calling. I didn't get any reply from the one I thought was closest, but a couple more farther on continued to gobble. I called and waited for about 1/2hr and still no action from the one I sat up on so said to heck with this I'm going after one of the others still gobbling. I stood up and when I did a monster size gobbler about 25yds. from me started beating the bushes apart trying to get off the ground. He finally got up and almost tore the top out of a little dogwood doing so. All I could do was stand there and watch him leave as I cussed. I said then no more rifles of any kind.
However...like I posted earlier..it's a lot harder to kill one with a .22 rim-fire the way I hunted them..calling them into shotgun range and only shooting in the wingbutt..than it is calling into the same distance and shooting with shotgun.