HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What to plant-corn or soybeans.
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 12:46 PM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Default RE: What to plant-corn or soybeans.

Lunchbucket,

My first soil sample was 2 years ago. The results called for 4 tons of lime. The 8 tons of lime was added between June of 2000 and June of 2001. Clover grew real well from the end of 2000 to the middle of 2001, and then I tilled it under in July 2001, planted a brassica mixture and had the brassicas come in with a crop of "voulenteer"
clover.

The soil is a sandy loam, with a muck-like layer in the top portion, which I assume is from the yearly deposits of silt from the creek flooding in spring thaw. The clover grew great in these spots this year. The only reason I'm considering the soybeans is because when the deer are migrating, they will not, and have not dug down a foot to find the clover. If the soys were sticking up at this time, they would be a "gold-mine" to the deer.

I want to know if soybeans will grow here, as well as withstand the 14-15 deer that utilize my property during the summer and fall season(taken from camera sensus-6 adult does, 4 yearling does, 1 fawn, 4-5 bucks, 1 definate yearling buck, 3-2.5 year olds, and who knows if any others).

This would go along with the other 4 acres of food plots, limed and fertalized according to soil tests. This particular field is not used as much during the summer, but is heavily traveled during the migration.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.