HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What to plant-corn or soybeans.
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 11:41 AM
NorthJeff
Typical Buck

Default What to plant-corn or soybeans.

I appreciate the higher nutritional value for soys, and was wondering which is harder to plant. I have a 2 acre spot to plant, I have been improving the soil the last 2 years, and because of the migration trail going through it, it would be an excellant taller food plot area-something to stick above the snow.

Are soybeans relatively easy to plant? Is 2 acres too little? What type of soil is preffered? Can they be mixed with a legume?
Will the deer eat it all up when young so there is none in Nov/Dec when the deer migrate?

As far as equipment to plant with goes, I have a tractor, 6' Heavy Duty Tiller, PTO Broadcaster, and a 30 gallon roller for compacting soil. I'd love to be able to plant it with clover, let the soys die out/be eaten in winter, have the clover the next year, and then till it all under every 2 years and do the same thing again, maybe with an occasional planting of wheat or rye to help with the rotation.

Any answers are appreciated. This would be along with the other 4 acres I already have.

Thanks!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.