HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - newbie trapper
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Coastie
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: newbie trapper

ORIGINAL: 270 win.

oh, and another question what do you guys recommend for staking these traps down?
270 win, before you go on your merry way setting your trap line, may I suggest you get some help. Your traps are inadequate for anything except the smallest of furbearers such as Weasel, Muskrat andGrey Fox.

Go to www.ohiodnr.comfor starters and check out their trapper education website, continue on to the North Dakota furtakers website for additional information. North Carolina has a very good site as does Minnesota. Trapping is fun, but it is hard, cold back breaking work as well. Your sets must be checked everyday without fail in all weather conditions and every state has different requirements as to how trapped animals must be trapped. Most states have minimum requirements for gear you use such as a choke stick for releasing domestic or non-target animals and requirements on what to use for dispatching animals you do catch. Georgia requires trappers to have in their possesion a choke stick and a .22 rimfire, just as an example. Seasons and licensing requirements vary from state to state as well, so before you go out, do a lot more homework. If I can help, send me an email or personal message and I'll do what I can to assist.