HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Goals for the upcoming deer season, personal, and group goals.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Reily

Default RE: Goals for the upcoming deer season, personal, and group goals.

My decision to take up hunting as a hobby next season is really just a facet of my overlying objective of becoming a competent and self-sufficent outdoorsman. My family was never the outdoorsy type, so I got a late start on learning. I don't necessarily want or need to be an expert in every outdoor activity, but currently, I'm only a novice at most. So my goals over the next year are simple.

1. To enjoy my first hunt with my father in law, and take my first deer.
2. To be able to walk through Bass Pro Shops and logically seperate the hunting and fishing items that I "need" from what I NEED (i.e. I "need" an over under, a bow set-up, and a muzzle loader; I NEED to finish my first hunter education course, and learn everything I can about my first rifle.
3. To be able to identify "the look" up to 50% faster when my wife is tired of hearing about how I can't wait to go on my first trip (null and void if discussion occurs in aforementioned Bass Pro Shops).

These techniques may be second nature to a seasoned hunter, but, believe it or not, I've already come a long way from ground zero (and having my wife buy me my first sleeping bag).