HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .300 ULTRA MAG
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .300 ULTRA MAG

The 30-06 with a 180 grain bullet has 20.3 lbs of recoil. The Rum with a 180 grain bullet has 32.5 lbs of recoil. This gives you an idea of what to expect. The felt recoil is another matter and depends on many things probably mostly how the rifle fits you. However I have friends that own 300 RUM and when they are being honest, they don't like to shoot the rifle any more than they have to. As if they had to.

It would work well for anyone considering any of the big Magnums to try to find one to shoot before they buy one. Shoot twenty shots off the bench and see if you enjoy shooting it. If you don't then why buy one when the 300 Win Mag will accomplish the same kind of game getting ability. When I sold guns, I had many guys trade in the hard kickers after giving them a good try. Generally speaking they went back to the rifles they used befroe to take the same game. Rifles like the 270/280/30-06.

I have shot tons of rifles and in truth, anything above the 300 Win Mag is no joy for me to shoot. I no longer can even shoot that one with mu bad shoulder. Use what you need but be kind to your shoulder when you can. I wish I would have.