HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ban Jimmy Houston
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Ban Jimmy Houston

DD my contention has NOT been one of support for what JH did. It was to bring up the point that I feel the backlash of this whole ordeal has gotten COMPLETELY out of hand and I feel alot of it is simply because folks like to read their own words on line. Without thinking about what they are doing too an otherwise great man. He obviously is sorry but for some that isn't enough. They want to see the man left pennyless in the street. I just don't think the punishment fits the crime in this case!

As for the, "he didn't squawk until he was called on it". Well excuse me, but would anyone in here admit such an embarrassing situation BEFORE it became public knowledge? If you say YES then you are a LIAR!!! I'm sure someone is gonna walk in the door and tell their wife that they just committed adultery? We just don't operate that way, we know when we screw up and we hope that no one finds out. Once they do THEN we begin the damage control. That is just life.

Hillybilly you are DEAD wrong about JH "...only being remotely visible..." He is one of THE biggest draws in the outdoor industry. Sure the hunting exposure is more of a novelty with him as he made his name and fortune in the fishing industry. But those two industries are nearly inseperable, especially the further south you travel in this country. I can promise you that you can take the BIGGEST name in hunting and feature him at the same show as JH and JH will outdraw him EVERYTIME. Next too Bill Dance there is just about no larger draw (among the "typical" fishermen in the public) in fishing than JH. So while he may not be about to replace Michael Waddel in the hunting industry, JH is still a BIIIIIG force in the overall outdoors business. What about Hank Parker? He didn't make his mark in hunting, but with the Co'mere Deer ads this season he has suddenly been getting more attention from deer hunters. What if Hank screws up and does one thing stupidly, does he deserve to have a 30 year fishing career thrown too the junk pile?

ALOT of stars from other sports enjoy hunting/shooting (Dale Earnhardt, Hank Jr., Don Johnson, many NASCAR stars and country music musicians) and obviously many companies in our industry want to court people who already have a "name" and bring exposure with them too the table. They make 1 poor decision and all of the sudden a few people want them swinging from a tree at high noon?

Also, alot of you guys are comparing JH too other hunting shows and outdoorsmen. Just don't be so sure that ALOT of what you see on TV goes on in places behind fences or in situations that aren't so "free and fair" as you are lead to believe. Filming and production schedules make high fence operations a VERY desirable proposition. JH just got caught up in the wrong situation and made a poor decision. He certainly hasn't made that his lifes pattern or history!
RA