HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ban Jimmy Houston
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 03:25 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Ban Jimmy Houston

I think this has gotten blown WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of proportion and now it's become a "me too" bandwagon that alot of anonymous posters are blabbering about without thinking about what they are really saying about a man who is one of the most visible icons in the outdoor industry.

Is what he did stupid? Based on what I can see of the video, YES it was stupid and he had not business being there. He didn't buy a license to hunt up there? As far as I am concerned, imho ANYTIME you are hunting behind an enlosed tract of land be it 4 acres or 40,000 I don't think you should be required to purchase a hunting license. When the land is enclosed it becomes the SOLE possession and work of that landowner. The game warden and game departments are no longer doing anything on that place and the tax payers money is no longer doing anything for the support of any game contained within that enclosure so I think the "he had no license" debate is a moot point for that very reason. In some states if you actually DO hunt on enclosed lands you aren't actually required to purchase any permits.

Do I think Jimmy deserves a little flack for what he did while on camera? Sure I do if for no other reason than to say, "Hey Jimmy wtf were you thinkin and how do you call that huntin?" The deer obviously wasn't in a natural surrounding and obviously wasn't "just there". The guys in the background prove that out. SHAME ON HIM for that. But perhaps more importantly is SHAME ON HIM FOR PUTTING IT ON FILM. I don't really think they meant to put the kill on film as it occured back in 03. Had he planned on using the footage it would've aired in 04. And if he DID intend to use the footage but later realized it was too much of an embarassment and changed his mind, he should've destroyed the film. He HAS lost credibility with many and this HAS hurt his reputation with possible sponsors now. The man has busted his arse for 4 decades to become one of the industries biggest names. Why risk damaging some of that work on one silly hunting clip?

I feel sorry for Ms. Chris having to get involved. She obviously loves the man as they have been married for a long time and have done alot together, both on and off the TV. For the "bandwagon" to get so bad that she felt she had to come on public forums and defend his honor is bad enough and speaks equally as bad about those trashing them in their time of need.

I suspect many in here would just as soon nail him too a post, pour gas on him and set fire too him. WHY? He killed a damned ol deer under less than desirable circumstances (for which he has apologized for, no matter how "silly" some of that apology might be!) he didn't murder, rape or pillage. He didn't swindle the public or taxpayers out of millions or billions (he didn't air the tape so you can't say he committed fraud upon his viewers) like many politicians or greedy tycoons. But none the less some in here want to see the mans reputation and ability to earn a living for his family completely ENDED!!!

Do I still like Mr. Houston? Damn skippy I do. No matter how high we put our heroes on a pedestel, they are still human and prone to screw up every now and then. But in their cases there always seems to be a camera around to catch their mistakes (whether it's their camera or not). Greed, simple and plain is why Jimmy did it. I am sure if the footage had been better he WOULD have used it on the show and I doubt many of us would've known any different and sure wouldn't have thought any different of him now would we?

ALOT of this crap is just plain jealousy. Most in here haven't figured out how to earn a living doing anything other than punching a clock and "working for the man". So when someone can come along and successfully do it for decades, making a great living doing what we all love. Well then that is not much differentthan ***** envy now is guys?

Relax, drink a beer and really THINK about what has happened over all this. I for one grew up watching and looking up too Mr. Houston. Men like he, Bill Dance, Roland Martin and Ray Scott were my heroes (and STILL are!). I have been fortunate enough to meet all of them, except Mr. Scott over the years while they did promo work for my brothers sporting goods stores. They ALL have skeletons in their closet and I wouldn't care for anyone on here going through my own closet either!

Guys the man apologized, admitted he was wrong and is genuinely EMBRARASSED about the whole ordeal. That is the reason for such a silly reply by himself. What else is he supposed to do, pull out a gun and shoot himself in the head? For Christ's sakes remember, we are men and SO IS JIMMY HOUSTON!!!
RA