HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best hunting Sights?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 12:14 PM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best hunting Sights?

For hunting, I don't like the scopes, because all-too-often, the situation in the stand is not conducive to constantly reaching down to re-adjust the yardage. With fixed pins, you never have to worry.

If you're shooting 40+ yards, especially 3d, you'll probably need more than 3 pins.

Like Shed33 said, I don't like the "stacked" pin design, either. A deer is a smaller target vertically than it is horizontally. That's why it seems to be only natural that your pins come into the sight window horizontally. That way, when taking aim, you can accurately measure how much fur is visible above AND below the pin, to make sure you have the right shot placement.

I'm to the school of thought that one set of fixed pins is just as good as the next. They just sit there. There are no moving parts, no disassembling/reassembling, just locked into position. In my opinion, whatever does the job the cheapest is probably the best option. Obviously, you don't want any brittle plastic or pins that will bend/snap if they get snagged in the brush. Look for something that is metal and sturdy, and all your dreams will come true.